This engine is available ready assembled and in self-assembly kit form, select option above when adding to basket.
The ready assembled engine is supplied in a rigid black card tube, approximately 160mm diameter and 200mm tall, which is carefully filled with supportive styrofoam chips and then wrapped in a waterproof and tamperproof blue poly-mailer. The self-assembly kit is supplied in a rigid white card box, approximately 160mm by 130mm, 35mm high, with all engine parts securely held in bubble wrap packing. The box is wrapped in a waterproof and tamperproof blue poly-mailer. This ensures that every engine we post arrives in perfect condition.
The kit is supplied with a CD containing hundreds of high resoloution images showing the full assembly process of this and all our other engines, along with detailed written instructions.
This version of the KS90 Low Temperature Differential (LTD) Stirling Engine has been specifically designed for solar operation, with transparent acrylic top and bottom plates and a black displacer. The transparent plates and black displacer combination allows the solar energy to act directly on the air inside the engine.
This engine is mechanically identical to our KS90 range of engines, but with a couple of money saving cosmetic changes. These changes can most obviously be seen in the different spokes material and in the absence of the seven brass chamber pillars around the main chamber. THIS KS80 ACRYLIC ENGINE WILL PERFORM THE SAME AS OUR KS90 ACRYLIC ENGINE
The Kontax Low Temperature Differential Stirling Engine shows with one spin of the flywheel a clean and simple way of converting thermal energy into motion, and this engine clearly and easily demonstrates how easy it is to harness the power of the sun and convert it in to motion.
In addition to solar operation, This engine will operate from many heat sources, including hot water, computer monitor, TV and the human hand. As long as there is a small difference in temperature between the upper and lower plates this engine will run.
Every assembled engine has been tested to run from the heat of a hand.
This engine has been meticulously engineered. As any Stirling Engine enthusiast knows, friction is a major problem with small low temperature differential engines. Therefore all potential sources of friction in this engine have been eliminated. Another common problem with LTD Stirlings is heat transfer directly between the plates. Again, all possible routes for heat to transfer directly between the plates have been eliminated.
A large number of schools and universities have bought our engines for educational use, the transparent chamber wall and cylinder make it easy to explain the Stirling cycle to students. Many of our engines have been kept running for years on top of coffee machines, computers, fax machines, etc. in shops, kitchens and offices all over the world. Many customers take great delight in running our engines on a bowl of ice or snow, where the engine happily runs, but backwards.
- Low-profile heat insulated chamber pillars, giving a flat bottom and good surface contact with heat source
- Both connecting rods are positively located using low friction PEEK and stainless steel screws
- All airtight seals are made with high strength precision screw threads and nitrile O rings
- Ultra low friction demagnetised and de-greased bearings, NO lubrication required
- Fully CNC machined, giving crisp, clean and tidy edges all over
- Engine parts ultrasonically cleaned before hand assembly
- Stainless steel connecting rods and ball-race bearings
- Micron precision Borosilicate glass cylinder
- Micron precision Graphite power piston
- Aluminium main pillar and hub
- Brass chamber pillars and flywheel rim
- Brass gland and cylinder holder
- Acrylic spokes
- Base plates - 80mm diameter, 3mm thick
- Displacer - 70mm diameter, 8mm thick
- Flywheel - 82mm diameter, 4mm thick
- Power piston - 9.5mm diameter
- Overall height - 120mm